Monday, January 25, 2021

Veteran Patient!

My latest stay in hospitals was 3 weeks. My dad says I always go all in! I broke my right ankle (weak side of my body) Christmas night. I was transferring from my recliner to my wheelchair, lost my balance and fell. After that I just went to bed and didn’t think I hurt myself. I didn’t sleep very much that night because of the throbbing. Next morning Walter called EMS I knew something was wrong.

The hospital confirmed I had a broken two bones in my ankle, I needed pins in my ankle. I intentionally went to Setan Williamson because my sleeve surgery was scheduled for Monday in the same hospital. Two birds for one, as they say. 

I stayed in Setan a week, but had to go to a rehab hospital to learn how to manage with the ankle. So I was transferred to PAM (Post Acute Medicine) Rehab Hospital. I was excited to get therapy. Three years ago I was angry when I was in a rehab hospital. I was the perfect patient this time, I would offer my arm   for my vitals, I never complained about all the sticks even though my body looked like a pin cushion and I would wheel down the halls saying hi to everyone.

I really enjoyed the therapy sessions and learned so much more about my body. It’s funny how my attitude is different three years into this stroke. I have so much respect for all the therapists that helped me over these years. I was not always a perfect patient. I do say thank you to each of you, you saved my life in more ways than you know.

After I got home I saw my accomplishments, I lost 25lbs in 6 weeks and I reduced my high blood pressure meds from 4 meds to just 1. My right ankle requires no weight bearing for 6 more weeks, so I decided to wait the six weeks and not use my allotted outpatient therapy sessions (insurance allotted) until I can stand on both feet. Therapy will teach me to walk again. Yes third time I’ll learn.

5 comments:

  1. You have come so far Amanda. I am in awe of your strength and perseverance. I love you! 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, it is DJ one of your therapist at PAM. Congrats on the weightloss and decreasing your meds! How do I get in touch with you? I have a special assignment I would love to involve you in. check me out on Facebook and send me a message at https://www.facebook.com/wilcowellness
    talk to you soon, Debb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Amanda, crazy weather we had last week. This is Deborah DJ from Pam, we would like to do an interview and add you to a blog on the wilcowellness website for May. Let me know if you are interested
    Thank you
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...