Sunday, October 11, 2020

A Lapband and a Stroke!

On February 6, 2012 I had bariatric surgery, lapband. I lost 80 pounds in 8 months. I kept the weight off for 5 years, then I had a stroke.

After surviving 5 weeks in intensive care and about 3-4 weeks in Texas NeuroRehab Center it was time for me to eat, I had a feeding tube. I failed the first swallowing test, but thankful for passing the next day. Since my right side is “paralyzed” I had to learn how to swallow with my new throat. My band fluid was the same 7ml from before. I know most of you don’t understand the fluid part, but read on I’ll get to the point.

My band was causing problems, one day I had a piece of chicken stuck on top of my band. I threw up clear “spit” looking liquid for a day or two. Then it happened, I threw up the chicken piece, the tech that was in my room with me said he had not seen someone project vomit like that before. The biggest problem was being in a hospital that doesn’t understand the lapband, both Walter and I kept saying I have to get my band emptied but the hospital didn’t have someone trained for that.

Finally Walter made an appointment with my bariatric doctor. Walter was going to take me but I was still an inpatient, the hospital arranged to take me. The tech that was with me enjoyed learning about my band and port, it took less than a minute for my doctor to take the fluid out. After that swallowing was a piece of cake but the dietarian at the hospital wanted me to gain weight. I argued with her every time she came by my room. I did gain about 20 pounds after that.

Now I’m home and eating like a monster, time to fill my band. I tried to fill my band with 7ml again but I couldn’t even drink water, so I got 1ml removed. After that I noticed I “PBed” (like baby spit-up) almost every meal. This got worse and worse so back to the doctor. My doctor said he could remove the fluid but I wouldn’t have the restriction of the band. We talked about my options and decided on surgery removing the band and getting the sleeve.

But that was the same time Williamson and Travis counties restricted elective surgeries because of Covid. So my band is empty, I gained back the 80 pounds and I am so disappointed with myself. The good news is the Covid restriction has been lifted and I have an appointment with my doctor next week to schedule the surgery.

Life after surviving a stroke is not always fun, it gives hiccups. I am determine to do the best at this new life.  

1 comment:

  1. Never a dull moment. So excited for your new adventure. You’ll love the sleeve. Love you girl.

    ReplyDelete

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...