Sunday, June 10, 2018

5 Weeks in ICU

I spent 6 weeks at St. Davids, 5 of them were in the Intensive Care Unit. I don't remember much about the ICU, my family said I was a pain (I know, hard to believe).


The doctors had to drill a hole in my skull twice to drain blood from my brain, one drain wasn't enough. The second time the nurses shaved my hair for surgery, my husband asked them to shave my whole head. I think he wanted me to look just like him, shiny head and all.

I slept during the day and lay awake at night. I had a reoccurring dream that I thought was really happening. One of the male nurses would take me to a place that was all channels of water. He would say, "Stay in the water like you're dead." Weird, I know! While I was dreaming I got Meningitis. That was a fun time for my family.

During this time I had a few coworkers visit, including my boss. I must have been quite a sight; tubes in my head, a tracheostomy in my neck, a tube in my stomach and between my legs, oh yeah and an IV in my arm. Don’t worry as soon as I transferred to Texas NeuroRehab Center I took care of the tracheostomy (Story in Texas NeuroRehab Center post).


My stay was completed on September 11th as I was transferred. I remembered this ride but no bells and whistles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...