Thursday, December 27, 2018

Year-End Medical Report

I had check-up appointments with all of my doctors to get a year-end report of how I’m doing medically. I see all my doctors every six months.

A bit of advice - I get all my prescriptions from one doctor (my primary) and suggest everyone should. I have so many, it’s hard to keep track of them all (3 for blood pressure alone). I print the medicine list from my patient portal whenever I go to other doctors. 


Hematologist Dr. Shimkus
Dr. Shimkus ran some blood work and I passed with flying colors! He said my INR was good and to keep taking Warfarin. INR stands for International Normalized Ratio also known as Pro Time. This is the test you need when you take Warfarin; it tests how thin your blood is. The optimal result is 2.0 to 2.5, and mine was 2.1. The IVC Filter and Warfarin prevents me from getting blood clots in my lungs.

Neurologist Dr. Peery
Dr. Peery was happy with my CPAP machine results. My CPAP machine sends the results to a secure site and he logs in to retrieve them. Stroke patients often suffer from sleep apnea, a potentially serious sleep disorder in which breathing repeatedly stops and starts. My brain needs all the oxygen it can get so I sleep with a CPAP machine (continuous positive airway pressure) every night. They say if you are diagnosed with sleep apnea you either hate or love the CPAP. I love it, I sleep soundly every night.

He also said to keep up the good work with Dr. Urquidez.

Neuroehabilitation & Brain Injury Medicine Dr. Urquidez
I have Botox injections every three months in my right arm and leg muscles to help my muscles wake up. I asked Dr. U, “How long do we do the shots for?” He said, “As long as they work. The next 12-18 months will be the deciding time.” So, my right leg and arm muscles better hurry up or else….

 Primary Doctor Dr. Willis
My blood pressure has been high all year long, and Dr. Willis tweaked my medicines a couple of times to get it under control. I am pleased to report I now have normal blood pressure!

Happy Holidays to everyone, I look forward to another good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...