Monday, October 1, 2018

I’m Done!

I’m done with therapy. I appreciate & love all the therapists that worked with me throughout my recovery. I know I wasn’t always the easy loveable patient that I portray now. Rehab Without Walls discharged me after five months, and I told my therapists that I was going to take some time off from therapy. My therapists got me to agree to resume outpatient physical therapy after one month. But I don’t want to do it. I talked to all my doctors, and as long as I continue walking and working my arm as much as I do, I won’t need therapy. (Even Dr. Urquidez said this!)


So how much walking and working my arm do I do? Well, every day I walk to & from the bathroom until 5pm. That is an agreement I made with my physical therapist. If I have a glass of wine, no more walking. Every week when I go to the grocery store, I walk from the car to the electric carts. Some weeks we eat lunch out, and I walk from the car to the table and back. I walk to some of my doctors’ appointments and anywhere else that I can easily walk to.

As for my arm, it’s still not moving much but I’m not giving up. I do my e-stim on it (electrical current) to wake it up. Plus, Dr. Urquidez gives me Botox injections every three months.

Why am I telling you this?  To justify the decision I made and so you don’t think I just quit. It would be really easy to quit trying! But I’m not a quitter. I looked into outpatient therapy and I felt it wouldn’t teach me; it is just an expensive glorified gym. If in the future I need outpatient therapy, I will get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...