Sunday, September 15, 2019

My Stepdaughter Turns 20 Today!

I am so very proud of Gillian. But this blog isn’t about her, it’s about me. Am I a good stepmother, did I give her good advice, did she like me? Step parenting is different than parenting and being a step parent without any children of your own is not easy. I couldn’t tell you how many times I cried on Walters shoulder over the years.


Gill stayed with us per the standard visitation agreement, basically every other weekend. With Walter’s work schedule I spent more time with Gill than Walter did. Then I had my stroke, Gill stopped visiting; she was 17 almost 18, so it was her choice. During my 5 months in the hospital she didn’t come see me and she didn’t even see her dad. Why? I found out later she didn’t want to be a bother to her dad, she knew we had a lot going on. I think she was scared and didn’t know how to act or what to do.

I have a great relationship with Gill now. We talk, she asks for advice and I’m seeing some of my compulsive habits in her. Gill moved in with us a couple of months ago, we get to live with her until she leaves for the University of Arizona in January.

So, am I a good stepmom? There’s only one person that can answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...