Tuesday, May 26, 2020

The Old Way

When will we get back to normal? I’ve asked that question a lot these past three years. I used to work, drive, garden, knit, crochet, cook, etc… That was the old way “normal” three years ago. Now “normal” is staying at home every day, a ride on my scooter to check the garden, watching my husband do all the house chores I can’t do. When I first realized my limitations I was grieving losing the old way. I had to create a new way “normal”, and I did just that.

Normal is just a picture of time. What I do today is not going to be the same as what I do tomorrow. Have you heard the saying, “if you don’t use it you lose it”? Well it’s true, what I’m going to tell you next is going to make my therapists disappointed. I’m disappointed in myself.

The other day I was getting in the shower, Walter positioned my wheelchair in the shower so I could transfer to my shower bench. I got up and my right foot fell over. I couldn’t get my leg or foot to move, my brain wasn’t transferring the information. After what seemed like forever, I finally got my leg to pick up my foot, I could move and sit on my bench. Thank God for the 2 rails in the shower. That scared me! I realize my “normal” was not doing any walking or exercising to strengthen my foot and leg. So after that shower I put on my AFO, I’ve been wearing it every day and I am going to walk more. It’s going to be my new way “normal”.

1 comment:

  1. The saying is true if you do not use it you loose it. Your brain has to engage in activities of your feet to tell the muscles and nerves they need to function. Use your bands, roll your foot over a rolling pen, use a long skinny towel and wrap it around and under your foot and tug on it. Shuffle your feet on the floor when sitting. Just engage your feet every day. Hope rehab for your ankle is teaching you lots of good stuff! Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...