Thursday, July 26, 2018

One Year Later!

It has been one year today since I had my stroke. What a year too! Everything has changed, and not only myself. Walter has changed, my parents have changed, and my brothers have changed. The biggest change, other than me, is Walter. He says he is not a caregiver, but he is wrong.


On a typical day, I wake up and Walter helps me get out of bed, pushes me to the toilet, and puts toothpaste on my toothbrush. Then he makes coffee and puts my protein shake on the side table with my morning meds. Then he mixes my juice and MiraLAX drink. After I have my morning meds and MiraLAX, he helps me get dressed. On shower days, he prepares the shower, helps me get undressed, and showers me. 

At lunchtime, he asks me what I want for lunch and fixes it for me. He serves my lunch with a Fuze Tea (my sis-in-law turned me on to Fuze when I was in Texas NeuroRehab Center).  He pours me two glasses of wine for the evening, and then he goes to work.

When he gets home at night, it continues with a glass of wine then helping me to bed. Remember my “I’m Too Sexy” post? Well, Walter has to put my arm splint, my leg boot, and my CPAP mask on me.  Walter then gets about an hour to himself before he goes to bed.

AND HE SAYS HE’S NOT A CAREGIVER!

Enough about Walter, I have changed a lot. My right arm and hand are paralyzed and I can walk with my right leg using a cane. I get very frustrated with not having my right hand. Everyone says there is one handed “stuff” you can get. Yes, there is, but a lot of it is crap and doesn’t work as well as expected. Very frustrating. One week ago I discovered I could move my arm! They say the arm is the last to wake up. And it goes like this: first the shoulder then the elbow and last is the hand. I moved my shoulder.  I'm optimistic!

One thing I’m working on right now is my temper. I get mad in front of Walter, and he feels like he has done something wrong. I’m not mad at Walter, I am mad at the stroke. My life was going well. Why did I have a stroke? It’s like when I wasn’t able to get pregnant and I asked myself, “Why me? What does God have in mind for me?”

So yes, I am not all achievements and laughs, and I do have my down days. I am just lucky to have a great caregiver husband that understands and knows when to just hold me.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...