Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Don’t be Stressed!

These are trying times! The one thing I have to say is don’t stress. When people are given a medical situation and don’t know what to do, they stress.

I remember after my stroke when I woke up in the hospital, everyone was telling me what happened, it stressed me out! So much that my immune system reacted. Remember those kittens with Ringworm that I fostered; I was the queen foster-er for Ringworm. I treated them with baths, medicines and love. I never got Ringworm, that is until I stressed in the hospital. It was all over my upper body. I felt bad for my ICU nurses, not only did they have to deal with a stroke but with Meningitis and Ringworm too. The point I’m getting to is, stress never does any good. Your immune system reacts with your mental habits as well as your physical habits.

Staying at home and social distancing are good, but you must have the mental mind set too. It’s funny I found myself in the Coronavirus high-risk list (dying twice didn’t help). What does that mean for me? I stay at home everyday already. In the three years I have been staying home I learned to occupy myself; so, I have some suggestions for everyone.

First, write a blog or journal about your days and feelings. I was skeptical when my speech therapist suggested writing a blog, years later I love writing it. Maybe someone will understand something or take my advice (wouldn’t that be weird). Writing down your fears and feeling will help with the stress! Plus, it will give family and friends a perspective of your life during this time. Remember all the WWII letters we enjoy reading, they are one way we understand the fears and feelings during that trying time.

Second, enjoy nature. I sit on my back porch watching Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal (I named them) eat, fly, and be peaceful. I also watch the squirrels and warn them not to come in our yard, four dogs and one cat want to get them. I also get on my scooter to check the veggie garden. We have two beds in the front of the house that used to have big bushes in them, now we are trying this.

And third but not last, remember those things you wanted to do? Do them! Clean out those draws and closets, you might find something you thought was long gone. Read that book, learn how to paint, knit, crochet. Play games (board-games or cards, not computer games).

Take the time as a blessing not a punishment.


1 comment:

  1. you are so right. You need to realize this is out of your control. Instead of stressing about it enjoy the time you have off. Enjoy the people around you and enjoy doing all the things you never could find time to do before....you have the time now, do it!

    ReplyDelete

Life Changes

Surviving my stroke was a life changing event. Its been almost five years, I will always remember July 26, 2017. This blog tells about my ph...